Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers


Asked by: 3695 views Airspace, General Aviation


please help me differentiate between transition altitude and transition level. is there any method to calculate transition altitude and transition level? where can i find these for different airports.

thanking in advance

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Matthew Waugh on Jan 27, 2013

    Altitude on the way up, level on the way down. Some countries (the US for example) have a standard transition alititude/level and some countries have a variable one, and typically publish it the airport plates.

    I’m not sure how you would calculate it – there’s the fun theoretical calculation(s) of relating one to another and to actual altitude, but I’m not sure they have a practical purpose.

    0 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. JB on Jan 28, 2013

    …and the area between the TA and TL is the Transition Layer. ATC is NOT to clear you to an altitude in the Transition Layer

    -1 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.