Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

International hours valid towards FAA CPL?

Asked by: 3000 views Commercial Pilot

Hey guys, basically I am considering doing the majority of my training where I live (south america, but I am American) but taking my tests in the US so I have my license through the FAA as it is a far more internationally recognized license so I forsee less problems with it in the future.  I have read the law below, Sec 61.41, but what I am unclear on in is can a FI give me training, lets say for my PPL, then go to the states where another pilot checks me out for an hour or two and signs off for me to take my test?  I just can't quite make sense and want to be clear so I can move ahead with my plan.  Is there any training like "instrament trainging hours" that won't be valid doing it this way?

Sec. 61.41 Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA

(a) A person may credit flight training toward the requirements of a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part, if that person received the training from:
(1) A flight instructor of an Armed Force in a program for training military pilots of either–
(i) The United States; or
(ii) A foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
(2) A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States.
(b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given.”

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    Wes Beard on Jan 21, 2013

    For my understanding… you would like to use a FI certificated in a South American country and count those dual hours towards the hours necessary for the requirements of a private pilot aeronautical knowledge?

    If this is the case, you can do this provided the country that certificated the FI is an ICAO country. All the dual hours count toward any aeronautical experience for a certificate or rating.

    On a different note, once you transfer to a US certiificated FI… they are required to ensure that you meet the proficiency standards of the appropriate PTS. There are three hours minimum required and it may require more depending on the flight instructor. They are also required to ensure you have the appropriate knowledge and so expect a couple hours of ground training to ensure proper knowledge.

    One other thing, if you can find a US FI and a US DPE in your country there is no need to come to the US for your license. It can be accomplished there.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kev Hughes on Jan 21, 2013

    Hey Wes, very great info, thank you. How can I find a DPE in my country is there a website that has them all listed? I am going to try to do an internet search for a FI here, but I looked at http://www.icao.int and it has the country listed as a “council member state” does that mean it is accepted? I am going to try to get in touch with the FAA but if you know off the top of your head where I can find it that may be easier than a few hours getting through to the right person at the FAA! Thanks again!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Wes Beard on Jan 22, 2013

    I really don’t know if “council member state” means that country is accepted. The best best is to call the FSDO and ask them.

    To search for a designated examiner you can search here. When you call the FSDO you can also ask which FSDO has jurisdiction over where you are.


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Kev Hughes on Jan 24, 2013

    Wes or whoever else has this question, yes, your international hours are valid towards your hours if you are going for FAA exams. Spoke to a guy in the FAA who was a DPE for 30 years and said not a problem, but i may need 3 hours so an FAA CFI signs off for me to take the exams. Thanks for the feedback Wes

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.