Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Foreign License Problem

Asked by: 2218 views FAA Regulations, Student Pilot

Hi! I am a current holder of a Philippine Commercial Pilot License with 172 hours of Flying time and planning to continue my training here in the United States, I know about the TSA and the FSDO for getting an authentication and getting a US Private Pilot license which is dependent on my Philippine Commercial License, but my current problem is my license is about to expire in March 13, 2012, What will happen if I start my training in February 2013 and then suddenly my license expires. Can I still proceed to get a US Commercial Pilot license that is stand-alone here in the United States? Or do I have to go back to the Philippines just to renew my license?


Are there other options can you give me? Please I really need help. 

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Jan 17, 2013

    Once your Phillipines license expires so does your restricted US license. Which means you can no longer log PIC time while with your instructor. That’s important because 61.129 requires a minimum of 100hoirs of PIC time.

    Two options available. Continue working on the commercial if you will be able to get enough solo time (with instructor endorsement) for the minimum PIC time. Take Commercial practical and receive a unrestricted US license not based on your Philippines license.

    Second option. Take private practical test and receive a unrestricted US license and the continue working on the commercial.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Lucas on Jan 17, 2013

    I don’t think the option of continuing to train with the expired license is an option at all, because FAR 61.123 (h) says hold at least a private pilot certificate issued under this part.

    This leaves you with 3 different options:
    1 take the FAA private pilot test;
    2 go back to the Philippines and renew your certificate;
    3 find a flight school that is knowledgeable on the CAAP regulations and is able to renew your license from the US.

    Cheers Lucas


    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Romer John on Jan 17, 2013

    Thanks you very much sirs for answering my question. Hopefully I would be able to get a US stand alone license.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Julio on Jan 19, 2013

    I had exactly the same problem, Take NOW a private pilot checkride part 61, with your 172 hours you are elegible to take the checkride, that will give you an UNrestricted private pilot licence, and keep on building there, you say you have 172 hours, when you have 250 you have the right to take a part 61 commercial checkride, good luck!! I had the same problem

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.