Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Insurance question

Asked by: 2286 views ,
General Aviation

I have an friend that wants me to fly his airplane. The plane is current and flyable in every way. I have a non owner insurance policy with ample coverage for my own protection including hull coverage for the airplane. I want to make sure he is also covered in the event of something that is not covered by my policy ( mechanical failure, hail, struck by another aircraft, etc.). My friend is older and I want to make sure he is taken care of. What needs to be done with his insurance policy, what do you think the cost of this will be? If he puts me on his insurance will I still need to have non owners insurance if his policy covers the same things?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    Brian on Dec 26, 2012

    1) Make sure his policy allows instruction.

    2) Get a letter that adds you to his insurance as named/additionally insured.

    3) If you can’t do #2 at the very least get a waiver of subrogation. This will make it so the insurance company cannot go after you in the event of an accident or incident.

    You having your own insurance is fine. If you get named insured on his policy than your policy is just an extra cushion of protection. Either way, it’s good you have your own policy.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Anrboy on Dec 26, 2012

    I think you covered what I was looking for. #1 is a check and I think #2 is very possible. The non owner insurance covers me and I feel it is my duty to make sure the gentleman letting me borrow his plane is properly covered and doesn’t miss something in his old age. Thank you

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Brian on Dec 28, 2012

    Whatever you do just be sure you have one of those letters. I’ve often heard of/been told myself by insurance agents that the CFI is covered in the plan. What they really mean is the insurance holder’s coverage remains in tack when receiving instruction, the coverage does not necessarily extend to the CFI. Be careful!

    Think of it this way, if their coverage does cover you, there should be no issue to give you something in writing that specifically states that.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.