Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

ATP MEL wants to add Commercial ASEL

Asked by: 2784 views Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor, Instrument Rating

ATP Mel with 10,000 hours wants to get a commercial single engine land certificate. I had this scenario come up on a stage check. What are all the requirements that this guy would have to follow? I assumed just 61.63(c), but I was told the ATP would have to redo everything that is required for commercial ASEL.


What is correct and where does it say it in the regs?


Thanks Alot

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

5 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Dec 11, 2012

    What reasoning did the stage check examiner give? The only thing the regulation says is “apply to the pilot certificate for the additional rating sought”. If they base their argument on that phrase, I think it is a pretty shallow argument.

    I agree with you. Only training time necessary to prove proficiency.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Ben Wallander on Dec 12, 2012

    I believe that it was because his certificate level was ATP and he wanted to get something less, and I think they read 61.63 as saying to add to your current certificate(thus you would be adding ATP ASEL instead of commercial ASEL)

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Wes Beard on Dec 12, 2012

    If u can find a copy of John Lynch’s Part 61 FAQs he states that the phrase above is meant to state at that certificate level or lower. In your example, the ATP candidate would only need to be proficient in the aircraft.

    On a separate note, the ATP test is much easier, in my opinion, than the commercial test. There is no chandelles or lazy 8’s… only steep turns, stalls and unusual attitudes and some instrument approaches. I’d I was his instructor I would steer him to the higher certificate. It’ll be cheaper than getting the commercial ASEL rating.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Ben Wallander on Dec 12, 2012

    I found that Q&A. And could not find that phraseology anywhere. Do you have a page number by chance?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Kris Kortokrax on Dec 13, 2012

    The person who conducted your stage check is wrong. The title of section 61.63 is “Additional Aircraft Ratings (other than ratings at the Airline Transport certification level).”

    If one desires to add ASEL at the ATP level, then 61.165(e) applies.

    Simple logic suggests that if 61.63(c) applied to adding a class rating at the ATP level, there would be no need for 61.165.

    One is not forced to add the class rating at the ATP level merely because he holds an ATP certificate. Many years ago, I gave instruction to a Delta captain who wanted to add ASEL at the Private level to his ATP certificate so that he could use a Mooney to commute between his residence and the airport where he was based. All he needed was instruction logged in all the maneuvers which were required for a Private pilot practical test and the proper endorsements.

    This kind of thing is done all the time. The problem with the academic environment is that individuals are asking questions about something they have never done.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 4 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.