Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

CPL Long Cross Country requirement question

Asked by: 3541 views Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations


I am preparing to fly the Long Cross Country flight for the CPL License requirement, the 300nm flight. I`m holder of a Instrument Rating. Questions:

Can I as an Instrument Rated Pilot do that flight under IFR rules? (Filing an IFR Flight Plan)

Can I do that flight flying under the hood, taking a safety pilot with me?


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. John D. Collins on Dec 08, 2012

    In my reading of the regulation, the 300 NM cross country is one of the solo requirements and you may not use a safety pilot, unless the safety pilot is a flight instructor. So you can’t conduct the flight with a safety pilot who is not an instructor and have it count for the purposes of meeting the 300 NM cross country requirement. The original intention of the FAA was that solo flights were required, but they added the instructor exception to permit training where the pilot is not rated for the airplane or insurance would not authorized the flight thus making meeting the requirement not feasible.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Sam Dawson on Dec 08, 2012

    As pointed out you may not take a safety pilot with you. The flight may, however, be conducted IFR. There use to be a VFR cross country requirement but it was dropped several years ago.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.