Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Commercial Helicopter Add-on

Asked by: 2480 views Commercial Pilot, Helicopter

According to 61.129 (c) 3 & 4 - I need 20 hours of dual to include 5 hours instrument, 2 hour day XC, 2 hour night XC, 3 point XC, and 5 hours night VFR.  

My background is as follows - commercial single, multi and instrument with private rotorcraft.  I didn't need t get a private Helo  as I could have gone straight to commercial but I decided I did not want to 35 hours of solo to knock out PIC requirement.  in doing my, private, I did all my XC to commercial standards - 50 NM legs.  Do I need t redo these XC to satisfy 61.129?

Also, with respect to the 5 hour instrument, 61.129 says I can perform in an aircraft In lieu of Helo?  I have over 75 hours instrument time in airplanes, does this count?  

Please help!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Nov 28, 2012

    According to legal interpretations you cannot count cross countries done during your private training for the cross countries for the commercial certificate. You can search those interpretations here.


    As far as the 5 hours of instrument time. The legal interpretations also indicate that the training must cover those items listed in 61.129. Saying that you already have a commercial airplane certificate I would consider that requirement met but the best bet is to talk to the DPE that you plan on completing your practical test with and getting their opinion.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.