Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Retired B-52 pilot

Asked by: 2558 views , , , ,
Commercial Pilot, Flight Instructor, Private Pilot

After I retired I took the MCI/MCA test and met with the Washington DC FSDO.  With my military experience I received a temporary airman certificate for Flight Instructor, Airplane Multiengine, Instrument and another temp certificate for Commercial Pilot, Airplane Multiengine, Instrument.  All I really want to do is fly a single engine Cessna for fun and teach my sister to fly.  My question is what is the best way to add single engine airplane to my instructor certificate, I don't think I need it on the commerical pilot cert?  It is my understanding that I have to complete a proficiency check from an authorized instructor other than the instructor who provided training and recommendation. The proficiency check has all the same tasks in the Practical Test Standards (PTS) as an initial pilot checkride. The difference, however is that the checkride can be performed by a CFI rather than an FAA examiner or designated pilot examiner (DPE). Am I close or is there something else I'm missing?  Thanks for your help.

Normal.dotm 0 0 1 57 330 USAF 2 1 405 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}  

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Nov 22, 2012

    Yes, you are missing something. When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

    The proficiency check you describe applies only to Sport pilots.

    You do need to add Airplane Single Engine Land to your Commercial pilot certificate and you need to add Airplane Single Engine to your Flight Instructor certificate.

    See 61.63 to add a class rating to your pilot certificate.
    See 61.191 to add a rating to your flight instructor certificate.

    +4 Votes Thumb up 5 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. Sam Dawson on Nov 27, 2012

    I have a CSEL syllabus on my website. It needs to be updated to reflect the new PTS- unfortunately something recently happened to my version of Word and it crashes when I try to “save as…” so I have not been able to do this. Also, this syllabus reflects a contract I had with the Army to train their pilots to fly a tail wheel as well.
    Your CSEL add-on need not be done in a complex airplane as it is assumed you are able to handle a complex airplane as a CMEL pilot.

    You will still be ahead of the game when you do your CFI-A check ride. This will be an add-on so it will not need to be done with the FAA, but can be done with a DE. Also there will be fewer tasks involved.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.