Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

CFI Landing Currency

Asked by: 4470 views , ,
FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor

II know what is prudent, but does a CFI really need to accomplish his/her 3 Takeoff's and Landings in the past 90 days to be legal to fly with a student?  I believe I read somewhere that students are not considered passengers, but FAR 61.57 A(2) states, "For the purpose of meeting the requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section, a person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft under day VFR or day IFR, provided no PERSONS or property are carried on board the aircraft, other than those necessary for the conduct of the flight.

Is a student necessary for the conduct of the flight?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    Wes Beard on Aug 16, 2012

    I think you are missing another key word in in 61.57(A)(2). “For the purpose of meeting this requirement”. If your intent is to fly for the sole purpose of meeting this requirement, then you must be solo. The student is not necessary for the flight.

    If in the duties of your instructing (here the student is necessary) you demonstrate a landing to a student and that brings back to within currency that is also OK. As you stated, pilots receiving instruction are not considered passengers and therefore the instructor does not have to be landing current to teach.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on Aug 17, 2012

    ” If your intent is to fly for the sole purpose of meeting this requirement, then you must be solo.”

    Not necessarily. If my student has other than a “Student” pilot certificate, has a medical, flight review and is 61.57 current, I can reagain currency during a flight with him.

    If I am a CFI and choose to regain currency with another CFI in the aircraft (who is able to act as PIC), I don’t need to be solo.

    +5 Votes Thumb up 5 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Bomber Jack on Aug 19, 2012

    Thank you for your responses. It is nice to have access to so many intelligent people!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.