Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Becoming a CFI!!

Asked by: 3409 views
Commercial Pilot, Flight Instructor

Hi guys & girls, I'm a commercial/ instrument pilot that loves to fly. I would like to start my CFI training. What study books do you recommend? Should I do my training local or some fast track school? And is it a good idea to do the CFII at the same time? Thanks to all...............Chris

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Aug 14, 2012

    A fast track school is OK. The reference materials are located in the CFI PTS. If you do a fast track make sure you read and understand every reference listed. There are 20+ listed. Doing a local FBO allows your instructor to guide you in understanding what you need to know. I have found those instructors who have gone the fast track really don’t understand what they need to know. I am sure there are exceptions.

    The CFII test has to be done separately and is best you concentrate on the CFI and then add your instrument instructor rating.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. CFI Academy on Aug 15, 2012

    http://cfiacademy.com – exclusively flight instructor training.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Best Answer

    Matthew Waugh on Aug 17, 2012

    The fast track schools will get you a certificate (or certificates) – but they do it by teaching you to talk and fly from the right seat at the same time. This does not make you an instructor.

    So as long as you understand that – I think doing all 3 CFI ratings at the same time is fine. But once you have the certificates, spend a little time with an experienced instructor learning a) a little about how to teach and b) how to stop students killing you. You can learn that on your own, but a) isn’t fair to the students and b) isn’t fair to those you leave behind.

    I also would recommend using the references in the CFI-PTS – that’s the FAA way and that’s what the inspector will want to see. The rating mills probably won’t spend a lot of time on the ground school – and what you get is from a fire-hose – so I recommend being VERY prepared on the book learning before you go to a rating mill.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.