Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Fly n registered plane in the USA without conversion to FAA it’s possible?

Asked by: 2453 views FAA Regulations, General Aviation, Private Pilot

Hi just a simple question. If an european pilot plans a vacation in the United States with his family , can he rent a plane registered with n tail number and fly it around with his JAA PPL? Are there any special permits to do that or if he wants to fly a n registered plane he has to convert his license?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. John D. Collins on Jun 24, 2012

    I understand that you need to obtain a FAA Private Pilot Certificate on the basis of your JAA PPL.  Getting a PPL certificate is a simple matter if you have a current pilot cerificate and medical from your home country and it is a member of a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.

    The FAA regulations that cover this subject are 61.3 and 61.75.  You can read the details at: 



    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on Jun 25, 2012

    One other thing, you will need to have your foreign pilot license verified.  Go to http://www.faa.gov, type “foreign license” in the search box.  Click the link for Verify Authenticity and follow the instructions.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 4 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.