Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Paper vs Plastic – Renewing Paper Certificate

Asked by: 2235 views FAA Regulations

I received a PPL years ago but the last time I flew was when I got some dual 14 years ago with the idea of possibly getting back in it.  I didn't pursue it at that time with kids in college but never lost the bug and tend to follow the industry like by reading your blog.  I would like to have the option to start flying again (after plenty of dual) but read last year that paper certificates had to be replaced no later than a date in 2010 so assumed that I had blown my chance.  I just read that priviledges under a paper certificate cannot be exercised after March 31, 2013.  Was this extended and if so, what is necessary to exchange the paper for plastic.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. John D. Collins on Jun 03, 2012

    You are still a certificated pilot.  You just need to get a plastic certificate in order to exercise your pilot privileges.  You can do it online or by the mail.  The cost is $2.00. See http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/certificate_replacement/ for details.


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Wes Beard on Jun 03, 2012

    If you remove your social security number from your license, which I would recommend, the cost is free.  Use the link John gave above to do so.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Brent on Jun 06, 2012

    I just helped my dad through this, and it was really easy. The one tip I picked up was to make sure to keep a hold of your paper certificate, as it will have the initial issuance date, whereas the plastic one will not.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.