Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Logging time in overseas registered aircraft

Asked by: 2319 views General Aviation

I hold a US PPL and want to fly overseas with a CFI dual but with me as PIC.  Can I log that flight time even though it is not an 'N' registered plane?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. John D. Collins on May 29, 2012

    61.51 only specifies airplane, it makes no mention of the country that the airplane is registered in.


    61.51 states you can log pilot in command when:   “When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate.”


    So the answer is yes.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on May 29, 2012

    The way your question is worded makes is seem that you are wanting to “act” as PIC as well as log PIC.  “but with me as PIC”.
    If so, check the regulations in the country you are in.  You likely will need a pilot certificate issued by that country to “act” as PIC.
    I suspect that your question was worded inaccurately and that the CFI who is rated in the country will “act” as PIC and you may certainly log it as John stated.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.