Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Does a complex endorsement transfer to another class?

Asked by: 2360 views FAA Regulations

I'm checked out in a c-172 and a PA-28 seminole. If I buy a c-182  do I need an instructor sign off to fly a single engine complex aircraft if I already have a multiengine complex checkout?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Lucas on May 18, 2012

    No. As long as you have the complex endorsement you can operate any aircraft that does not need a type requirement.
    Keep in mind though that the insurance company will probably want you to get checked out in the C-182 and possibly have 10 to 100 hours in that type, but that has nothing to do with regulations.

    -1 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on May 18, 2012

    You state that you are checked out in the Seminole.  Did you receive the complex endorsement?
    A Seminole is a PA-44.  It has two engines with 180 HP each.  Since it does not have an engine with more than 200 HP, you could not have accomplished the high performance endorsement in the Seminole (sounds ridiulous, but that’s the way the regulation reads). The Cessna 182 does have an engine with more than 200 HP.  You will need a high performance endorsement to act as PIC in the C-182.

    +5 Votes Thumb up 6 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.