Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Part 61.75 Private to ATP.

Asked by: 7581 views , , , , ,
FAA Regulations

Can a foreign B747-400 captain holder of a Part 61.75 Private U.S. certificate, with 20,500 flying hours including all certificate requirements, and instrument ratings on single and multi-engine pistion types, go directly to doing the U.S. ATP certificate, or is the issue of a Commercial certificate required first?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

3 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    John D. Collins on May 05, 2012

    From my reading of FAR 61.153 (d), you should qualify if you meet sub paragraph (3) and would not require a US Commercial Certificate.

    Sec. 61.153Eligibility requirements: General.To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must:

    (a) Be at least 23 years of age;

    (b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant’s pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft;

    (c) Be of good moral character;

    (d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:
    (1) Holds a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating issued under this part;
    (2) Meet the military experience requirements under Sec. 61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or
    (3) Holds either a foreign airline transport pilot license with instrument privileges, or a foreign commercial pilot license with an instrument rating, that–
    (i) Was issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation; and(ii) Contains no geographical limitations.

    (e) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought before applying for the practical test;

    (f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of Sec. 61.155(c) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought;

    (g) Pass the practical test on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.157(e) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought; and(h) Comply with the sections of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Wes Beard on May 05, 2012

    Yes, John is correct.  I have seen many foreign pilots without even a US Private pilot license obtain an US ATP certificate based off of the aeronautical experience obtained in another country.  
    It is important to note that you will need to have a letter from the FAA verifying the authenticity of your foreign license.
    On the Form 8710-1 application form, in section II, you will need to check “Basis of foreign certificate” as well as either a Part 141/142 training program or completion of required practical test. 

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. David on Aug 08, 2012

    What if, he has a standard faa us pvt cert and a foreign ATP cert, looking to get a us FAA ATP, is the pvt FAA cert, and obstacle in the terms of eligibility?

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.