Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

Im currently a Sophomore in highschool. I want to become a commercial flight pilot and i found out to become so, i first have to earn my PPC, or Private Pilot License. However, I have no idea on how to train for it nor do i have a clue on how to apply for one. I dont know how to start my path on road to becoming a pilot. Do I read books about piloting from the library? Do i do research online? I dont even know what my major would be if i want to become a commercial flight pilot. Please answer all these random questions i have so i can set my life straight. Thank You!


P.S. I live in northeastern Illinois so there is not really any colleges that specialize in aircraft around my area. Or so i can find one. :( what should i do?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on May 04, 2012

    Lewis University in Romeoville, IL is in northeast IL.  They have an aviation program.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Jim Foley on May 04, 2012

    U of I U-C has one (although I think their aircraft livery is kinda ugly 🙂  Like I said before, you need to find out from the colleges you are looking at if you can enter their program with your private; If so, you may want to get it before college from a local flight school. 
    If you can’t start flying, but want to get into aviation, read the Airplane Flying Handbook, the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, the Student Pilot Guide, and the Aeronautical Information Manual.  All of these, and much more, is available online at FAA,gov.
    There are also many options for courses that you can purchase, such a King Schools.  These are are very good option, and more exciting and interactive than just reading that stuff above.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Micah on May 09, 2012

    You can’t solo until you’re 16 and you get get your certificate until you’re 17, but you can start training. I’d poke around the local airports and get to know the people at different FBOs. Ask students who are flying there what their experiences are. Since you’ve got at least 2 more years there before you leave for school, look around to find an instructor you like–one that you think fits you–because you’ll be training with this CFI for the next 2 years. It would not be unreasonable to think that you would be able to start college with the private and instrument completed, provided you can afford all of the flying.
    I agree with Jim: To get started, grab the FAA books The Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Airplane Flying Handbook. Any FBO should be able to sell these to you, as well as Sporty’s or any website. You can also download them directly (see here http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/) but I like to read paper in my fingers, and these are books you may like to keep in your physical possession for a long time.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.