Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers


Asked by: 2335 views FAA Regulations

Is a air operators certificate needed to run a part 61 flight school?  Besides insurance, 100hr, annual inspections, cfi, plane, and most importantly students is there anything else needed? where exactly is this info in the far/aim???  thanks

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Apr 23, 2012

    No certificate is required for 61.  There is nothing to refer to in the regulations due to the lack of a requirement.
    You may need something from your state (i.e. for state tax collection).

    +4 Votes Thumb up 5 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. Carol Karp on Apr 23, 2012

    There are no specific rules (besides federal and state business regulations) that govern a “Part 61” flight school besides the students learning what they are supposed to under those regs. Any average Joe with a CFI rating can start instructing out of the back of his car if he really wanted to as long as he had the students and a plane to do it in. I considered freelancing but didn’t want to commit to getting my own airplane (just yet!)
    A “Part 141” flight school has to follow rules specific to operating under that “part” beyond what the Part 61 rules are.
    Basically…what Kris said! 🙂

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.