Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

6 Answers

Change in category

Asked by: 2472 views FAA Regulations

What are the hour requirements when getting an airplane SEL private  certificate if already having a rotorcraft private certificate?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

6 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Feb 22, 2012

    See 61.109(a)

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Best Answer

    Jon on Feb 22, 2012

    The 20 hours of instruction and 10 hours of solo are on 61.107(b)(1), which is about ASEL aeronautical knowledge, so the short answer is 30 hours.  Everything below that includes “in a single-engine airplane” has to be done.
    For quick reference:

    § 61.109   Aeronautical experience
    (a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b)(1) of this part, and the training must include at least—
    (1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane;
    (2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—
    (i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and
    (ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.
    (3) 3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments, including straight and level flight, constant airspeed climbs and descents, turns to a heading, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, radio communications, and the use of navigation systems/facilities and radar services appropriate to instrument flight;
    (4) 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test, which must have been performed within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and
    (5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane, consisting of at least—
    (i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;
    (ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations; and
    (iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Derek Scott on Feb 22, 2012

    So for this new applicant, will they have to be soloed in a single engine airplane.  Because they have no previous experience with fixed wing would I have to go through all the endorsements and presolo knowledge test etc.. so that this student could fulfill the solo requirements in a single engine aircraft.  Sorry if this question sounds stupid but it becomes quite confussing to me when changing category of an applicant who has no previos experience in fixed wing aircraft.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Wes Beard on Feb 22, 2012

    No, in fact the already rated pilot can no longer become a student pilot and those “student pilot endorsements” will not apply.  If you read AC 61-65E carefully, you will see an endorsement specific for soloing an aircraft that the pilot is not already rated for.  Use that endorsement.
    <quote>62. To act as PIC of an aircraft in solo operations when the pilot does not hold an appropriate category/class rating: section 61.31(d)(3).I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) has received the training as required by section 61.31(d)(3) to serve as a PIC in a (category and class of aircraft). I have determined that he/she is prepared to serve as PIC in that (make and model of aircraft)./s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-05</quote> 

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Derek Scott on Feb 22, 2012

    Thanks for all the help, I believe that I have gained a pretty firm grasp on the situation after seeing these answers and studying a little deeper into the situation

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Kris Kortokrax on Feb 22, 2012

    When you create the endorsement for 61.31, there is no longer a 61.31 (d)(3).  Use 61.31 (d)(2).  Also, I would suggest adding an expiration date in addition to any limitations you may choose to list.  The 61.31 language contains no provisions for expiration as does the 61.87 language.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.