Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

6 Answers

Helicopter Pilot to Airplane Single Engine Land Requirements?

Asked by: 9513 views General Aviation

Private helicopter pilot would like to earn his Airplane SEL.  What requirements need to be met?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

6 Answers

  1. Mike on Feb 07, 2012

    Well, the way this works is that the fixed wing rating would be considered an addon.  So the hourlyu training requirments go way down.  I don’t have the numbers in front of me but on average you can expect a lot less work with addon ratings.
    I did this same thing, just in reverse a few years back and it was nice.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Nathan Parker on Feb 07, 2012

    This would be a category add-on, not a class add-on, so the training requirements are the same as for an initial airplane SEL.  The student would not have to take the knowledge test again.
    The relevant regulation is 61.63(b):
    (b) Additional aircraft category rating. A person who applies to add a category rating to a pilot certificate:
    (1) Must complete the training and have the applicable aeronautical experience.
    (2) Must have a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor attesting that the person was found competent in the appropriate aeronautical knowledge areas and proficient in the appropriate areas of operation.
    (3) Must pass the practical test.
    (4) Need not take an additional knowledge test, provided the applicant holds an airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, weight-shift-control aircraft, powered parachute, or airship rating at that pilot certificate level.

    0 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 3 Votes

  3. Wes Beard on Feb 07, 2012

    In this situation, you will be adding a new category of aircraft to your current license.  As a result, and as Nathan pointed out, you must meet the aeronautical experience listed in §61.109
    “A person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b)(1) of this part, and the training must include at least—”
    You will need at least 20hrs dual instruction and 10hrs of solo time for a minimum total airplane single engine land time of 30hrs.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 2 Votes

  4. Ckladdon on May 09, 2013

    You need only 19 hours in an airplane to add on to a pp rotorcraft/helicopter certificate.

    40 hours of flight training that includes at least 20 hours with an authorized instructor and 10 hours solo flight…this does not specify category or class aircraft…

    (1)3 hours cross country clifht training in a single engine airplane…
    (3) 3 hours flight training in a single engine airplane…
    (4)3 hours flight training in preparation for the practice test in a single engine airplane
    (5) 10 hours solo in a single engine airplane…

    Hope this helps…

    +5 Votes Thumb up 5 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Ckladdon on May 09, 2013

    You need a minimum of 19 hours in an airplane if you are adding on to a private pilot certificate with a rotorcraft/helicopter rating

    61.109(a) does not specify category

    61.109(1) and (2) each specify 3 hours in a single engine airplane but you could do meet the requirements concurrently by doing the cross country training at night

    61.109(3) 3hours flight training manuevers etc…in a single engine airplane…
    61.109(4) 3hours flight training in preparation for practice test in a single engine airplane…
    61.109(5) 3 hours solo time in a single engine airplane…

    The same holds true for adding rotor wing in to a fixed wing, unless you are in a robinson helicopter which requires 20 hours dual before you can solo. In this case you would need a minimum of 30 hours

    Hope this helps

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. William Miller on Dec 29, 2014

    ANALYSIS FOR “ADD-ON” of ASEL for a pilot with a Private (or above) Helicopter Pilot.

    Under part 61: All flight AND ground proficiency training required by 61.107 is a must. HOWEVER, NOTE THERE ARE NO MINIMUM TIMES SPECIFIED. SO USE THE TIMES IN 61.109.

    Since this applicant is already rated in a powered aircraft the only thing we need to cover is the “experience” required in a SEL.

    61.109 { Aeronautical experience required in a SEL:

    (1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane;

    (2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—

    (3) 3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments

    (4) 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test, —-.

    (5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane, consisting of at least—




    Based on the above the minimums are:

    Dual required IS 9 TO 12 HOURS.

    (1) Is 3 hours

    (2) Unless they have the time in a simulator or flight training device another 3 hours of night flight training.

    (3) 3 hours instrument training



    Minimum total time in ASEL would be as shown above!!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.