Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Time in type for a flight instructor to give instruction in high performance aircraft

Asked by: 3517 views FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor

4 Answers

  1. Nathan Parker on Jan 05, 2012

    According to the regulations, none, although if the instructor needs to act as pilot in command, he needs the HP endorsement.  But there is no regulation that forbids him from provding training to a student who is otherwise qualified to act as pilot-in-command of the HP aircraft.  The acting as PIC issue would be enough to prevent the non-endorsed instructor from providing a HP endorsement, even though the regulations again don’t otherwise forbid this.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. John D. Collins on Jan 05, 2012

    I agree with Nathan. Adding to his post, time in make and model is mostly an insurance requirement and not a regulatory requirement for the instructor.  Exceptions to this include: 61.195(f) that requires the instructor have at least 5 hours PIC in the make and model of a multi-engine aircraft in order for the multi-engine instructor to provide instruction towards the multi-engine rating. FAR 91.91(b) was just updated October 2011 and in part also has a 25 hour make and model requirement for an instructor to  provide instruction under limited circumstances for a flight review or an IPC if the aircraft has a throw over yoke.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. George Lyddane on Jan 10, 2012

    Does an instrument rated pilot have to demonstrate any instrument proficiency (like a hooded ILS approach or a hooded NPA) when demonstrating “proficiency” for a new High Performance endorsement?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. John D. Collins on Jan 10, 2012



    There isn’t a requirement for an instrument rated pilot to demonstrate any instrument skills for obtaining a high performance or complex endorsement, but it isn’t a bad idea to obtain such instruction.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.