Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Sport Pilot Instructor Requirements

Asked by: 2648 views Flight Instructor

I am pretty sure that if you want to be a CFI you must have your instrument rating, however, if I only want to instruct in the sport pilot LSA catagory , do I have to get my instrument rating, or only commercial?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Dec 14, 2011

    There are two different types of CFI certificates; the normal CFI and the Sport Pilot CFI.  A normal CFI can teach in a sport plane they are rated in but the same is not true of a sport CFI.
    The requirements to obtain a Sport CFI is listed in 61.403 and only requires the applicant to have a sport pilot license.  An instrument rating according to 61.65 requires at least a private pilot certificate and cannot be added to a sport pilot license.
    To answer your question.  No, you do not need to have an instrument rating or a commercial license… only a sport pilot certificate. 

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.