Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

6 Answers

Commercial Rotorcraft pilot seeking Commercial Fixed-Wing Add on

Asked by: 6881 views Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations, General Aviation, Helicopter


I am a Commercial Helicopter Pilot planning to obtain a Commercial Fixed-Wing Add-on. Are the requirements the same for a Fixed-Wing Add-on as they are for the Fixed-Wing initial? I understand the Total Time and PIC will crossover, however I wondered if any of the specific aeronautical requirments, such as the complex time or cross-countries were different.


Thank you,



Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

6 Answers

  1. CFI Academy on Oct 17, 2011

    Hi Nicole,
    This issue has been discussed earlier here:
    Even though the previous discussion was specific to AMEL, but the same applies to ASEL as well. In case your question was specific to ASEL.
    No complex required, however, there is some x-c requirement though.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Nicole on Oct 17, 2011

    Where exactly does it say no complex required?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. CFI Academy on Oct 17, 2011

    My bad! lol. Complex required! oops.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Nicole on Oct 17, 2011

    So, is it all the same requirements as for the initial?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Lance on Oct 17, 2011

    In short, yep, all the same requirements as initial.  Your are correct that your total time crosses over, but anything specific to airplanes in the regs you would need.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Isabelle George on Oct 21, 2011

    A Commercial Pilot License (CPL) or, in the United States, a Commercial Pilot Certificate, is a qualification that permits the holder to act as the Pilot In Command of a single pilot aircraft, or as co-pilot of a multi-pilot aircraft and be paid for his/her work.The basic requirements to obtain the license and the privileges it confers are agreed internationally by International Civil Aviation Organization, ICAO, however the actual implementation varies quite widely from country to country. According to ICAO, to be eligible for a Commercial Pilot Licence, the applicant must be able to read, speak, write, and understand English: already hold a Private Pilot Licence, have received training in the areas of a Commercial Pilot, and successfully complete the relevant written exams. To proceed in obtaining a commercial pilot license, you must first obtain second-class medical certification. The JAA has several approved courses leading to the issue of a JAA Commercial Pilot’s Licence with an Instrument Rating without first obtaining a Private Pilot’s Licence. Upon completing those prerequisites the applicant will then receive an exam from the governing aviation body that consists of an Oral and Practical flight test from an Examiner. Applicants for a CPL must also have completed a solo cross-country flight of at least 300 nm with full stop landings at 2 airfields other than the pilot’s airfield of origin.

    -2 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 2 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.