Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Commercial Rotor-craft adding on a Commercial multi-engine

Asked by: 5465 views , , ,
Commercial Pilot, Helicopter

Hey, if you're a commercial helicopter pilot and want to add a commercial multi-engine, what do I need to do? Do I have to have a PPL ASEL first then add on a multi-engine, an instrument? Thanks to all in advance.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Sep 13, 2011

    If you want to add on the Airplane Category and AMEL class rating you will need to comply with the aeronautical experience listed in 61.129 for the commercial experience.
    The tough part is get the airplane PIC time in the AMEL without the associated rating on your license.  In this instance, you almost have to be solo in the aircraft for 50 hrs to qualify.  It would be much easier to get a private AMEL add-on and then upgrade.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. David K Timothy on Sep 19, 2011

    Thanks! I’ve been looking at 61.129, but it’s a tad bit confusing.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. CFI Academy on Sep 20, 2011

    I agree with Wes here. You will need to meet the requirements of 61.129 (b). I am assuming you are not a commercial pilot helicopter (yet). To obtain a commercial pilot in a helicopter you have to meet the requirements of 61.129 (c). 
    If you are a commercial pilot helicopter, in that case my apologies; but then why would you say 61.129 is a tad bit confusing. 
    Also, read 61.1 for the definitons of aircraft, powered aircraft, helicopter, airplane etc etc.
    All in all, you will need 50 hours in airplanes (ASE or AME), and ATLEAST 10 in multi engine. Realistically, you will need more than the minimums defined in 61.129.
    Hope this helps.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. David K Timothy on Sep 25, 2011

    Thanks! Info was great help

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.