Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

High performance endorsement and H-47D time.

Asked by: 4435 views FAA Regulations, General Aviation, Helicopter

I am trying to figure out if I need to go up in a high performance fixed winged aircraft with a CFI to get my High Performance endorsement or if I can simply be signed off to be able to fly a fixed wing airplane.  My scenario is that I have my Commercial / Multi fixed wing and I fly 10,000+ SHP CH-47D for the Army.  All of the general aviation aircraft that I have flown have topped out at 200 HP.  I am trying to determine if the 47 training would suffice or not.  When reading the reg 61.31 (f) it states

f) Additional training required for operating high-performance airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (f) (2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower), unless the person has—

(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and

(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a high-performance airplane.

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (f)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane prior to August 4, 1997.


 When I look up the definition of airplane it essential states it’s a heavier then air fixed wing aircraft. Is there a high performance helicopter endorsement that I am missing or is it simply a fixed wing only requirement? 

-Thank you for your comments in advance.

4 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Aug 23, 2011

    You’re correct.  You do not need a high performance endorsement for a helicopter.  The definition of airplane is found in §1.1 and is a fixed wing aircraft.  I don’t see anything else in §61.31 to indicate a helicopter requires a high performance endorsement.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. C Downey on Aug 23, 2011

    Sorry I think I need to clarify my question.  Would there be a correlation of flying me currently flying a “High performance” helicopter to quantify / qualify as receiving the required instruction in order to have a CFI sign me off without stepping in a 201 HP aircraft legally?  

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. JamesCFI on Aug 23, 2011

    This might not answer your question the way you want but I dont see a issue here.
     A) you want to rent a plane that is over 201hp
    B) you want to buy a plane over 201hp
     If you rent the plane no matter your endorsements or hours you will need to get a checkout flight, just talk to the CFI and have a combined high-perf/checkout flight, no big deal
     If you are buying a plane you are going to want to take it on a few test flights, get a CFI to come along and add the endorsement.
     Better to err on the side of caution, especially when the endorsement in question is this easy to get.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Matthew Waugh on Aug 25, 2011

    If you can find a helicopter instructor willing to sign you off for a high performance endorsement based on your helicopter time (or even a fixed wing instructor I guess) go for it.
    Eventually the FAA action, NTSB appeal and probably the insurance court case will sort this all out for us – keep us posted. However – my guess is you’re not going to find an instructor willing to give you that endorsement, so I suspect the point is moot.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.