Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

FAA Private Based on a Forgein License

Asked by: 3426 views Private Pilot

If a pilot who holds a License in a forgeing country is issued a license by the FAA based on that license, do they need an FAA medical to ast as PIC?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Dave on Jul 31, 2011

    FAR 61.3 (c) says:

    “(c) Medical certificate.
    (1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation acceptable to the FAA, that is in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft. Paragraph (c)(2) of this section provides certain exceptions to the requirement to hold a medical certificate”
    In paragrah (c)(2), the only thing I could find that, I think,  might pertain to you was in sub-section (xi)
    “or (xi) Is operating an aircraft with a U.S. pilot certificate, issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license, issued under §61.75, and holds a medical certificate issued by the foreign country that issued the foreign pilot license, which is in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that airman certificate.”
    So, no, you do not need an FAA medical, but you do need a valid medical from the country that issued you the original flight certificate.
    At least, that’s how I read it,

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Dave White on Jul 31, 2011

    No, you don’t – if you have a medical from the same country as the licence.
    FAR 61.75 (b)(4) refers:
    “…Holds a current medical certificate issued under Part 67 of this chapter or a current medical certificate issued by the country that issued the person’s foreign pilot’s license.”

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Wes Beard on Jul 31, 2011

    I agree with the others.  It goes one step further.  Most foreign licenses have wording on their licenses that states they must have a current medical from their country for their pilots license to be valid.
    Since the U.S. pilots license is based on the validity of the foreign license they foreign pilot cannot get a U.S. medical and be legal to fly in the United States.  They must receive a medical from their home country.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.