Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

Instrument “Grace Period”

Asked by: 7386 views FAA Regulations, Instrument Rating

Instrument pilots often use the term "grace period" when referring to the period of time in which they can get current with a safety pilot after losing their instrument currency (and before one year has passed, in which case they would require an IPC). 

Is it true that the "grace period" may only be used once without having to do an IPC? If so, is there  an FAA source where I would be able to find that information?

Thank you!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

5 Answers

  1. Micah on May 20, 2011

    I presume that your confusion results from hearing “You’ve got a six-month ‘grace period’ during which you can complete your currency requirements…” If you think that “grace periods” are finite, read the Regs; if you don’t have this misunderstanding, but are otherwise confused, read the Regs. Here’s my attempt to help:
    Read 61.57 (C) & (D) (links at the bottom), but you should know that as an instrument pilot you are “current” now if your (performed and) logged experience equals that required by 61.57 (C). If this is false, then you may not fly as PIC under IFR rules (or in IFR conditions). If this is false, but these experience requirements are met within the preceding 12 months then you are within the “grace period,” during which you may perform and log the experience required (by 61.57 (C)), which authorizes you (after the experience is obtained) to act as PIC under IFR (although you currently may not do so). After 12 months you must complete an IPC as described by 61.57 (D).
    It’s simplest to me to consider the law this way: there is only 1 period of currency, and that period is now. (Yes, there was past currency and yes there may be future currency, but nevertheless…) Either you are current now or you are not current now, and you therefore are or are not authorized to act, now, as PIC under IFR rules/conditions. If this is true, fly safe(ly). If this is not true, then you either are or are not within the “grace period” now. Whether this second question is true or not informs what actions you must take to become current.
    If your question is “Do I only have 1 grace period to use ever?” then I hope you find guidance above (and, more importantly, in 61.57).
    If your question is  “Am I able to use consecutive grace periods?” then I hope you find guidance above (and, more importantly, in 61.57).
    Full text of 61.57:
    Better formatted (but not current) text of 61.57:

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Nathan Parker on May 20, 2011

    “Is it true that the “grace period” may only be used once without having to do an IPC?”
    “If so, is there  an FAA source where I would be able to find that information?”
    14 CFR 61.57(c)

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. mario schmidt on Sep 04, 2011

    my last IFR flight was 13 months ago. What should I do to be current again?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Paul Tocknell on Sep 04, 2011

    You need to schedule an IPC (instrument profiency check) with a CFII.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Lagmanbek on Oct 11, 2012

    The text of 61.57(d) changed, but the rule didn’t. Here’s a really good explanation:


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.