Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Light sport instructor

Asked by: 4502 views Flight Instructor

Is it possible to be a earn a light sport instructor rating without having a FAA medical?   

I know it is possible to be a light sport pilot without a medical, but don't know about the instructor requirements.


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on May 15, 2011

    Yes, you can earn a light sport instructor certificate.  A medical certificate is not required for either a CFI certificate or a light sport aircraft certificate.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kent Shook on May 15, 2011

    The requirements to become a sport pilot instructor are spelled out in the FAR’s, specifically Part 61, Subpart K (which starts with 61.401, if your FAR/AIM doesn’t have the subparts mapped out).
    Give that a read, it should answer all your questions about sport pilot instructor requirements. Here’s a link: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=591fa61ce2ed8d959cb38ff7104c431f&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.