Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Documents in Aircraft

Asked by: 4415 views FAA Regulations

Is it a regulation to have a Map...such as a sectional map..in the aircraft at all times for flight!!..Thanks Jason

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Apr 19, 2011

    No.  There is no requirement for a map of any kind in the aircraft.  The only required documents to be on board the aircraft are the “AROW” documents. 
    Now if you don’t have a current chart (or are using an obsolete chart) and you violate airspace or hit a tower on a mountain or such.  The FAA may violate you for now knowing everything about the flight.  See FAR 91.103

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Nathan Parker on Apr 19, 2011

    Here’s an FAQ on the subject on an FAA website:

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Robert Hadow on May 05, 2011

    As to sectional charts and AFDs in general, here is what the FAA has to say:

    “If a pilot is involved in an enforcement investigation and there is evidence that the use of an out-of-date chart, no chart, or an out-of-date database contributed to the condition that brought on the enforcement investigation, then that information could be used in any enforcement action that might be taken.”

    I know of at least one exception.  If you fly the Hudson River Coridor in New York, you must either cary a Terminal Area Chart or Helicopter chart.  That’s a reg.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.