Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

Logging total flight time vs. logging SIC vs. logging PIC

Asked by: 7524 views , , , ,
FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor, Instrument Rating

I'm a CFI, building my hours for that 121 job someday (hopefully).  I'm a CFI, CFII, and MEI, and of course, need that golden multi time.  Since I cannot go on our flight department's 135 charter (the FAA is only allowing one pilot, one airplane, so thus I'm out of the picture), and my employer does not offer multi training, I need other ways of getting multi time.

Anyways, the chief CFI, and the only pilot allowed for the 135 work, needs to do a 135 check with the FAA tomorrow, and wanted to practice before his check.  He asked me to go up with him to be his safety pilot today; we logged 1.3 hours in the Seneca, and about an hour of that time, he was under the hood.  My question, my logbook has columns for flight instructor, dual, PIC, SIC and Total Time.  How would I log this?  Would I log 1 hour of PIC and 1.3 total time, or 1.3 as CFI (since I am an MEI) and 1.3 total time.  Or would I only log 1 hour of total time?  I'm confused...oh the joys of being a CFI, trying to figure the FARs out.



Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

5 Answers

  1. John A Lindholm on Mar 29, 2011

    If you’re a safety pilot, you’re not giving instruction…. nor endorsing his log as dual received.  Therefore, you cannot log the 1.3 hours of total time as PIC or dual given.
    As a required safety pilot, you can log either SIC (or PIC if there was a pre-flight agreement that you were the “acting” PIC) while the other pilot was flying with his vision limited.  You can only log the 1 hour.  Your best bet will be to log the time as SIC “safety pilot” time unless you are PIC legal (to/ldg) in multi-engine flight prior to this flight.  If your Chief Pilot agrees, you still have the option to log PIC dual given if you endorse his records as dual received.
    Make sense..??    You are wise to get this right as future employers (and the FAA) will be taking a long look at your log records for the rest of your career.  Nothing looks more inept than having illegal flight time logged.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. LovemyGF on Mar 29, 2011

    Can I still log all 1.3 hours of my “total time,” or does the time only where I was acting as PIC can go in the “total time” column?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Best Answer

    John A Lindholm on Mar 29, 2011

    You can only log as total time the time you were required to be in the aircraft….  the time the other pilot was using a vision limiting device.  Otherwise, you were just a passenger.

    -2 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 3 Votes

  4. LovemyGF on Mar 29, 2011

    That’s what I thought.  Thanks!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Kris Kortokrax on Oct 19, 2011

    What exactly do you disagree with?
    The safety pilot is only required during simulated instrument flight.  Not required during startup, taxi-out, runup, takeoff, landing, taxi-in, shutdown.  If the view restricting device is not being worn, there is no need for a safety pilot and therefore, that portion of the flight time could not be logged.

    +5 Votes Thumb up 6 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.