Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

7 Answers

Fundamentals of Instruction exemption

Asked by: 5652 views , , , ,
Flight Instructor

How do you get the exemption to taking the fundimentals of instruction test? I have been a ROTC Instructor. 

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

7 Answers

  1. MaggotCFII on Mar 27, 2011

    Your answer is in  FAR Part 61, Subpart H, Flight Instructors Other than Flight Instructors with a Sport Pilot Rating – 61.183 Eligibility Requirements and 61.185 Aeronautical Knowledge.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Steve Dortch on Mar 28, 2011

    The question is not can I do it. The question is how? To whom do I show my teaching credentials?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. MaggotCFII on Mar 28, 2011

    Give your FSDO a call and ask to speak with the FAASteam Program Manager.
    Ask that person your question.
    I have found the FAASTeam crew responds a lot quicker then other at our FSDO. 
    Another source would be FAA 8900.1 – Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS).  This one explains step by step what is needed to be reviewed, done, etc. by the Inspector when issuing certificates and ratings.  Link follows:
    You could also contact your local DPE(s), always found them most helpful or AOPA.
    I suggest the FSDO because you may want an “official” quotable source should the need arise.
    If you are working with a CFI – ask him to call!
    Please let us know how you do!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. MaggotCFII on Mar 28, 2011

    Forgot this – if you are looking toward Ground Instructor not Flight Instructor then FAR 61-213 would apply.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Matthew Waugh on Apr 02, 2011

    Call the FSDO is a good answer – but let me assume for a moment.
    For the FOI you take a test and get issued a certificate that you have taken and passed the test. You want to use a different certification of your ability to teach. So I assume in any place where you need to present your FOI test certification you would just present your teaching certification.
    So that’s an initial CFI, or an initial AGI, IGI (or BGI I guess, who gets the BGI?).
    For a practical perspective I imagine the world is full of different kinds of teaching certifications affiliated with all kinds of organisations. So if I was going to present myself with an alternative to the FOI, I would check ahead of time that the person who would need to accept it would accept it. Saturday morning, at the start of a CFI initial is not time to be producing your teaching certificate from the University of Dubai.
    My guess is that the FSDO will happily give you a verbal opinion, but I could never get them to commit to anything in writing, and that’s worth not very much. So again, a specific, before hand check, with the person you want to accept your teaching certificate would be wise.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Mario Gerhardt on Apr 16, 2011

    I am trying to get my CFIG. I asked the local examiner regarding the exemption and he said just to bring a copy of my teaching certificate and a note from my school system certifying that I was a teacher there. I am a high school teacher and coach.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  7. LTCTerry on Jul 25, 2011

    I took the BGI written. Then I took a copy of my teaching certificate and the written test results to the local FSDO and became a BGI.
    I’m interested in CFIG as an initial CFI to be eventually followed by CFI/II one day. 

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.