Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

How is your English? Good? Make sure your pilot certificate says so.

Posted by on February 26, 2008 2 Comments Category : Flight Instructor Blog

The FAA has a system designed to help operators, like airlines, stay ahead and updated on current policies and regulations so that they can stay in compliance.   There are actually a couple of programs.  The first is Safety Alert for Operators (SAFO) and the second is a Information for Operators (InFO).  The InFO contains information that is not as critical for safety.  You can read more information about the InFO program here

On Feb 13, 2008 the FAA issued a Information for Operators update that actually has some implications for all pilots, from private through ATP.  The InFO states that the ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) standards are now requiring, effective March 5, 2008, that all pilots operating internationally have a certificate with an endorsement of language proficiency.   In other words….if you are flying internationally, you have to have an endorsement on your pilot certificate that says “English Proficient”

Here is the document:Info08008

You can obtain a replacement certificate with this added endorsement by going to:


Once you create a user name and logon, you can for $2.00 request a replacement pilot certificate.  Be sure to select “English Proficiency” as the reason for the replacement.  If your pilot certificate is still your social security number (gasp!) you can request to have that changed and get the language endorsement for free.

I would encourage everyone to request this new endorsement as you never know when you might find your travels taking you to far off exotic places such as Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean.

Fly Safe!


  1. Plastic Pilot | ICAO Language Skills Certification - Good or Evil ? on Apr 11, 2008

    […] but also because of new ICAO rules. A lot has already been said on that (check by aviatrix or askacfi.com), and I won’t list all the details […]

  2. Mike on Feb 24, 2012

    US English Proficient is level 4. EU rules say level 4 is good for 3 years.

    How do us pilots say current past that?

Leave a Reply