Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

From Glider Pilot License to LSA Certificate

Asked by: 5080 views , , ,
Light Sport Aircraft

What do I have to do to get a LSA Certificate if I have a Glider Pilot License?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

5 Answers

  1. skyboyCFI on Jan 30, 2011

    This Sport Pilot PTS may help answer that question for you;
    You’ll need training in an LSA, a written, oral & practical tests, at a minimum.

    -1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 2 Votes

  2. Papa Echo on Jan 31, 2011

    This document doesn’t say anything what you need if you already have another license.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. skyboyCFI on Jan 31, 2011

    Sorry P.E., The PTS is only a part of what you need to get a Sports Pilot Rating. I did not want to answer completely because I am unfamiliar with a Glider License. But like John explained in your other question, you can certainly find more information in the FAR’s. John points out “FAR 61.41 and 61.75”. You can start there and hopefully find the answer to your question if nobody else responds on here.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Terry Pitts on Jul 25, 2011

    Just like a power plane private ticket includes sport pilot, a glider private ticket includes sport pilot. Sport pilot glider to sport pilot power requires, I believe, simply training with one CFI in an LSA and a “test” with another CFI to add on that “rating.”
    Not a CFI, but somewhat familiar with the LSA world. Thought I’d lose my medical when I had to take blood pressure meds.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Papa Echo on Jun 01, 2013

    I found my old thread accidentally while I was looking for this theme again.

    I own a US Private Pilot License with the rating Glider. As Terry said before, this includes the Sport Pilot Certificate, because a Private Pilot License is a higher license.

    I read the regulations and found this in 14 CFR § 61.303 (I have shortened the long paragraph to the essential):
    If you hold … (2) Only a U.S. driver’s license … And you hold … (iii) At least a recreational pilot certificate but not a rating for the category and class of light-sport aircraft you operate, … Then you may operate … (A) That light sport aircraft, only if you hold the endorsements required in § 61.321 for its category and class, … And … (1) You must comply with the limitations in § 61.315, except § 61.315(c)(14) and, if a private pilot or higher, § 61.315(c)(7).

    Do you agree that an endorsement is all I need to fly single engine LSA?
    I went to a flight school and they tried to tell me that I must start from scratch (written test, minimum of 20 hours flight training, check ride with an FAA designated examiner), but I think they had no clue.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.