Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Flight time required for airplane add on

Asked by: 7546 views FAA Regulations, Private Pilot

I am curious to see what everyones take is on how many hours a person would need to add an airplane rating to someone who now holds a helicopter rating?

FAR part 61.109 (a) states that a person must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in 61.107 (b)(1) and goes on to include some specifics.

Does everyone see that as, the helicopter pilot being allowed to apply 10 hours from the helicopter time but will still need the 20 hours dual and 10 hours solo in airplane?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Kent Shook on Jan 22, 2011

    Actually, the 10 hours of solo and 20 hours of flight training up in the main (a) section does not specifically say it has to be in an airplane. However, (a)(5) does say that you need 10 hours of solo in a single-engine airplane, and all of the dual sub-requirements need to be in a single-engine airplane as well. Also, while the dual doesn’t say it needs to be in an airplane, it does need to be training on the areas listed in 61.107(b)(1), so dual received in a helicopter working on autorotations doesn’t count. However, things like cross country that are basically the same, training time in the helicopter appears to count.
    I have heard that IACRA is not set up properly for these sorts of situations, though, so be sure that if you do manage to be ready for a checkride with less time that you talk with the DPE about it, and you may have to use a paper 8710 form.

    0 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. skyboyCFI on Jan 22, 2011

    Time in a helicopter ‘is’ flight time. You only need to satisfy the time required for the category. But I doubt any CFI will sign you off until you’re ready, regardless of the hours. So thats what you really need to consider, how many hours, not less than that required, will it take based on your ability.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Wesley Beard on Jan 22, 2011

    I think the regs are pretty clear.  20hrs of dual instruction in a single engine airplane and 10hrs of solo time in a single engine airplane.  The other 10 hours can be from any other aircraft (balloon, glider, rotorcraft, powered lift).  The 3 hours cross country time is required in a single engine airplane.  Even though you’ve mastered the cross country planning and performance you might find it is different in an airplane than in a helicopter and the FAA wants to see that you have the aeronautical knowledge.
    If your instructor is doing a good job and they probably are.  They will go through the PTS standards and make sure you know what you need to know and have the flight proficiency to easily pass the test.  It may take more than 30 total hours though.

    0 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 2 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.