Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

ICAO PPL to FAA PPL ME license.

Asked by: 554 views FAA Regulations, Instrument Rating, Private Pilot


I have ICAO PPL License a;ready verify by FAA, if I got multi engine training and check ride in the US, can I issue a permanent FAA PPL ME rating License?

thank you

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    KDS on Aug 14, 2017

    Yes. However, you’ll find that the subject isn’t easy and will confuse many FAA Inspectors.

    The instructions to the inspectors are contained in FAA Order 8900.1, which you can find here:


    Start reading at Volume 5, Chapter 2, Section 14, Paragraph 5-592.

    If I remember correctly, the FAA now (since 9/11) has to go to the foreign country and get a certification that your license is still valid. All of that takes a while. Then you have a limited time period to apply for your US Pilot certificate based on a foreign license. Once you get that, you can add AMEL to your US Pilot certificate and it will not be based on a foreign license.

    Also, just a word of caution. Before you take the test, make sure your DPE understands what you’re doing and how he will need to issue your new certificate. It’s one of those situations that rarely comes up except in some high activity flight schools that it’s not well understood by anyone.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.