Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

ATP multi to ppl sel

Asked by: 736 views , , , , ,
Commercial Pilot, Private Pilot

I have a student who has his multi atp( he came from military) what does he need to get his commercial single engine, or even his ppl. Will he need to fly 30hrs with me to meet the requirements? 

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

3 Answers

  1. LTCTerry on Jun 06, 2017

    Most military flight training programs start out in single engine airplanes. The decision as to which track a US military flight student takes is made after a few months of flight training.

    I would assume that your student has easily met all the requirements for ASEL or is close. Take a look at his logbook. If there are any gaps then complete that training; “commercial maneuvers” were probably not part of his military training.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. lhornaday on Jun 06, 2017

    If the student has an ATP certificate with an AMEL rating and wants to add a ASEL rating, that is an additional class rating. It is not like obtaining a new pilot certificate because the new class will be on the same, or a lower, level of the current pilot certificate.

    The regulation to read is 61.63(c). In short, no knowledge test is required and the student only needs the hours necessary to be found proficient by you.

    Here are the required endorsements for the practical test (numbers reference AC 61-65)

    #72 – Additional aircraft category or class rating (other than ATP): 14 CFR 61.63(b) and 61.63(c)

    #1 – Prerequisites for practical tests: 14 CFR 61.39(a)(6)

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. lhornaday on Jun 06, 2017

    I should have added, if the student instead wants an ASEL rating at the ATP level, then he must meet all of these requirements:

    Eligibility requirements listed in 61.153;
    Aeronautical knowledge requirements listed in 61.155; and
    Aeronautical experience requirements listed in 61.159.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.