Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Does CFI apply to all rattings

Asked by: 838 views General Aviation

I am a retired Army helicopter pilot that currently holds RW Comm Instrument rating. I am attending a part 141 school for my FW SEL


61.183 says:

I would have to pass the required practical test that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, in an:

Aircraft that is representative of the category and class of aircraft for the aircraft rating sought.


The way I interpret this reg: To get a CFI in an SEL, I have to get a ride in such. In order to get an CFI in a helicopter, I'd also have to get a ride in such. But, there may be a way I can minimize the examination for both. Am I off base on this? Anyone do this before?

My question is:

What is the quickest and lowest cost path to obtain a CFI in both RW and FW?



Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

2 Answers

  1. Russ Roslewski on Apr 15, 2017

    I’m not real clear on what you’re asking. If you want a CFI-Helicopter rating, you take that checkride. If you want a CFI-Airplane Single Engine rating, you take a different checkride. You do get some relief from common tasks on whatever checkride you do second, but you still have to take two practical tests.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on Apr 16, 2017

    Since you are former military, I’m assuming that you got your Commercial Instrument Helicopter certificate and rating based on your military experience. If you didn’t, you wasted a bunch of money. In similar fashion, if you were an Instructor Pilot in the military, you can get an FAA CFI for Helicopter and Instrument Helicopter based on your military experience. That would take care of the RW CFI. The FW CFI would then be an additional rating.

    If you weren’t an IP in the military, you could still train for the RW CFI. Based on your experience, that shouldn’t be a big deal. There are no minimum hours specified to obtain the rating. Just proficiency in teaching, the knowledge tests and a practical test.

    The FW CFI would then become an add-on. Shorter version of the knowledge test, proficiency in teaching FW maneuvers and another practical test, which as Russ noted does not required all the tasks.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.