Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

ME ATP wants to fly SE Airplane… what’s the quickest path?

Asked by: 465 views FAA Regulations

I'm an Airline Pilot and have only flown twin engine military trainers/fighters and Commercial airliners except for my flights required for ATP ME checkout in a piper Seminole.  I'd like to get a SE license at either the Commercial or ATP level to fly... whichever is quicker, easiest and cheapest.  Also, based on reading similar questions on this website I have a couple more detailed questions.  1)How many hours of Dual Instruction flights/hrs would be required for either the ATP SE or Commercial SE cerification? 2) I understand one of the biggest challenges is getting familiar with the SE aircraft you'll use for the checkride... just wondering if a CFI could endorse a pilot with a ATP ME license to fly solo for XXX days to gain more proficiency without added cost of a CFI onboard. 3) Also, i know you need 50 hrs in SE aircraft type before you can take a ATP SE checkride... what is the minimum hours, if any, to take a Commercial SE checkride?  I flew a C172 for 15 hours to SOLO when in an USAF screening program prior to going to USAF Pilot Training about 25 years ago... I have the sortie dates, times and tail number info... can that count towards the 50 and can I legally add to my logbook?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Best Answer

    Russ Roslewski on Mar 28, 2017

    I’ll try to help!

    1a) To add on an SE rating at the Commercial level, not much is required. From 61.63, you are adding on additional aircraft class and therefore only need to train to proficiency, be signed off by a CFI, and take the practical test (checkride). There is no minimum training hours requirement. That is probably the easiest, quickest route for you to take (especially given the generally-not-useful ATP Single Engine rating).

    1b) To add on an SE rating at the ATP level, you must comply with 61.159. You should meet all of them since they were the same for the ATP-ME checkride you already took, EXCEPT for the 50 hours in class (SEL). This requirement you would still need to meet, but I think it’s the only one which would present any issue for you.

    2) Yes, the CFI can endorse you to fly the SE airplane solo. This is covered by 61.31(d) and shouldn’t be a problem.

    3) Ah, the T-41 I assume. Yes, if you have the records, this time would be allowable and counts toward the 50 required in class for the ATP.

    Hope that helps!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. ugleeual on Mar 28, 2017

    Thanks Russ!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.