Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

for Instrument currency / Passenger currency outdated. Can I bring Safety pilot?

Asked by: 630 views ,
FAA Regulations


my last day of instrument approach was July 2016. 

I was thinking about doing 6 approaches, holding, intercept course for instrument currency around this March(2017) or April. 

I was going to bring my friend who has Private pilot license and current medical, and same category , type of aircraft that we will fly. 

but, can I bring him as safety pilot even my 90 day 3T/O and landing expired?

does safety pilot consider as passenger when I fly under the hood doing approaches?

what I read so far is that both log PIC. 

does safety pilot only log PIC time for when I fly under hood??


It is dumb question, I searched many website but I could not find exactly same case as I am and I do not want to violate the regulation.


Thank you.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

4 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Feb 01, 2017

    If your friend is current (61.57, 3 T/O & L in last 90 days), he can act as PIC and you have no problem.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. loveThinkpad on Feb 01, 2017

    Kris Kortokrax
    Thanks for answer, then How can me and my friend divide PIC time?
    he is current.
    I was going to fly at night so doing 3 takeoff and landing fulls top to get my 90 days current as well.
    is it legal?
    thank you

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. John Scarry on Feb 01, 2017

    If you haven’t flown for 90 days, maybe you should get current in the airplane before you try to do instrument approaches. I know that I get rusty if I haven’t flown for two weeks. If it’s been more than 90 days I know I wouldn’t be able to fly an approach. Holding a heading might even be a problem. I would get an instructor to fly with me if the airplane is anything more complicated than a Cherokee or C152.

    As has been discussed many times before, the person logging PIC time should be the person manipulating the controls. That would be you for the whole flight. Even though the safety pilot is acting as PIC, and can technically log PIC time, it is not usually done. If they are using the time for advanced ratings, it could cause problems with the examiner. I personally log safety pilot time as just that, not PIC time.

    0 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  4. Mark Kolber on Feb 04, 2017

    >> How can me and my friend divide PIC time?

    Very simply. If you are doing the flying and your friend is acting a pilot in command for the flight (assuming the proper ratings and qualifications), under FAA policy going back more than 20 years:

    • you may log PIC time as the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft you are rated for [61.51(e)(1)(i)];
    • while you are under the hood, your friend may log PIC time as someone acting as PIC in an operation that requires more than one pilot. [61.51(e)(1)(iii) and 91.109(c)]

    I’ll disagree with John Scarry on this being “not usually done.” In my 30 years of flying I have found it to be extremely common.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.