Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

ATP Crosscountry 50-nm distance requirment

Asked by: 862 views Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations

According to the FAR's a pilot for an unrestricted ATP needs 1500 hours and 500 X-country. My question is with the mile requirement in FAR definitions of cross country being 50nm. How is it that some of the time building options such as banner tow and skydive pilot are sought after if you are never able to get cross country flights logged?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Gary Moore on Nov 29, 2016

    well – as your first sentence states – it’s not ‘just’ about x/c – it’s also about total time….

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Russ Roslewski on Nov 29, 2016

    You’re asking why new commercial pilots try to get jobs towing banners and dropping skydivers? Most obvious reason is because those are two of the very few types of jobs that will often accept a 250-hr pilot.

    You have to start somewhere. ATP is a good goal, but it’s hardly the first step on the way for a career pilot.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.