Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Upgrading from Sport Pilot to Private, do I need a Student Certificate again?

Asked by: 817 views Student Pilot

I am contemplating to upgrade my Sport Pilot license to Private. This question is not about recognition of CFI hours from previous training but I am wondering if I need to get a Student Pilot Certificate again. I intend to take training in my ELSA for most of the dual hours but at some point I think it would be advisable to get some hours in a 172 and maybe a PA28 to get a better idea of how they differ from my ELSA. 
Wouldn't flying these types of aircraft solo require a different certificate than my Sport Pilot license? Do I therefore need to get a Student Pilot Certificate again if I want to get this additional experience in heavier-than-LSA airplanes?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Nov 17, 2016

    You already have a pilot certificate (Sport Pilot). The FAA will not issue you a Student Pilot certificate. You may only hold one pilot certificate (unless your second certificate is a Private Pilot certificate based on a foreign pilot license).

    You merely need instruction in the aircraft and then a 61.31 (d)(2) endorsement to allow you to act as PIC of an aircraft for which you are not rated.

    +4 Votes Thumb up 4 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.