Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

CFI – Airplane add on – Currently CFI – Sport Airplane (subpart K)

Asked by: 1030 views Flight Instructor

I searched all the similar questions, yet didn't find one that seemed to answer my situation.  I hold light sport CFI, what Written Test should I take for the add on airplane CFI under Subpart H.  There are 2 versions of that test, correct?  'Regular' and 'Short'

Does anyone have any experience with add-on and this scenario?


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

1 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Oct 23, 2016

    You are not eligible to pursue the Subpart H rating as an add-on rating. Look at 61.181. It states that the regulations under Subpart H are not applicable to the holder of a Flight Instructor certificate with a Sport Pilot rating.

    So, forget 61.191. You must look at 61.183 to determine eligibility requirements. Since you are not adding on a rating to an existing Subpart H Flight Instructor certificate, I would say you cannot take the short version of the knowledge test.

    I would take things a step further and say that since there is no entry in the task table in the Flight Instructor PTS for adding a rating to a Sport Pilot instructor certificate, that you will be required to complete the entire practical test.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.