Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Private to commercial rating

Asked by: 860 views Commercial Pilot


I have approx. 325 hrs. as private pilot with instrument rating and complex endorsement. Flying has been a hobby so far, but looking to advance to SE commercial rating. Will I have to go thru entire commercial training to meet the requirements?  I'm hoping a CFI could look thru my logbook to determine if I have already met some of the requirements and go from there. Obviously, I'm trying to minimize time and cost. Hoping someone here can provide more insight or cite a reference I can review. Thanks.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Jim MacKay on Sep 24, 2016

    I really don’t understand why you need a CFI to look at your log book.
    The aeronautical experience is clearly delineated in the FARs. You may already have some of the requirements.
    I honestly would spend a few minutes with the FARs and see what you need in addition what you already have.
    You will clearly need a CFI to review the maneuvers and assist where needed but look at the commercial requirements in part 61.


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Mark Kolber on Sep 28, 2016

    I’m going to disagree slightly with Jim. I’ve seen enough pilots have difficulty reading certificate and rating requirements to know people have difficulty with this. I can’t even count on my hands and toes the number of times I’ve seen questions asking whether the two commercial dual cross countries need to be done with an instructor (really) and whether they can be combined with the long one.

    Strenuous, qualification for the commercial certificate includes both solo activities and training. I would expect any CFI you went to to discuss taking this step to begin by reviewing your logbook to see what needs to be done.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.