Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Student pilot cert needed?

Asked by: 863 views , , ,
FAA Regulations

I saw that this question was asked and replied to several years ago.  I am following up to see if there has been any change.

I possess a Private Pilot certificate in gliders only.  I now want to add on ASEL.  Is my PPL/Glider sufficient, or do I need a Student License?  Also, can you point me to the specific FAR that addresses this.


Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on May 08, 2016

    To add an ASEL rating to your pilot certificate, you follow 61.63. You already possess a pilot certificate and will not be issued another. There is no regulation that explicitly states that you may only have one certificate, but it is the case.

    There is one exception. If you were to possess a Private certificate with an ASEL rating (for example) based on a foreign pilot license and you decided to pursue an AMEL rating by passing an FAA practical test, you would be issued a second pilot certificate that would list only the AMEL rating. This is because the AMEL is not restricted (based upon your holding a current foreign pilot license). It is unrestricted because you passed the FAA test.

    -1 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.