Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Can I fly a High performance experimental single engine if I am only rated for a High performance twin?

Asked by: 848 views , , , ,
FAA Regulations, Private Pilot

Can I fly a High performance experimental single engine if I am only rated for a High performance twin?  I am an engineer in Montana and I have been thinking about getting back into flying buy building a lancair. I have always been interested in building a plane, and lancair seems to have a very nice program for people like me. 

I currently hold a multi-engine HP twin private with Instrument Rating. I would have to go back to school to get my single engine rating. 

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. John D Collins on Mar 30, 2016

    High performance is not a rating, it is an endorsement for additional training. It is required for acting as PIC of an aircraft that has high performance engine(s). Ratings for category and class are required to act as PIC or to log PIC. I assume you are currently rated to fly a twin engine land airplane. You need a single engine land airplane rating to act as PIC in a Lancair. You probably already have endorsements for high performance and complex aircraft and you may or may not have an endorsement for pressurized aircraft, which you might need as well.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Suslavich on Mar 30, 2016

    Thank you very much!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.