Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Do I Need An Attorney?

Asked by: 994 views Private Pilot

Hello all,

This is my first question, and hopefully the last that's serious in nature. One of my old students (now a PVT Pilot) balked a landing which resulted in both the tail and landing gear being bent.  Most of his training was done by another instructor, but I endorsed him for his practical test last year. The local FSDO has contacted me wanting some information about endorsements and training, which has made me quite nervous. Do I need to seek representation or am I being paranoid? I'll be damned if an ex-student ruins my future aviation career. I dislike this job enough already. >:[



Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Mark Kolber on Mar 25, 2016

    Often, these inquiries are purely investigatory in nature. Background on the pilot and what led to the accident, not a targeting of the instructor.


    Keep in mind that the primary purpose of legal representation is not to yell, scream and fight. The primary purpose is to use knowledge, experience, and objective thought to advise and assist a client through an unfamiliar process where there can be traps.

    So yes, you should at least consult with a knowledgeable attorney to discuss the situation.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on Mar 25, 2016

    I would respond by asking them in an email or letter what information they want. If you end up talking to them, ask what information the want and respond that you need to compile the information and will respond at a later date.

    They should have already (or certainly can) looked at the pilot’s logbook. These records are required to be presented by 61.51 (i) and should contain all the information regarding training and would include the endorsements you made. This section also covers the records that you are required to keep by 61.189

    The only real questions they should have concerning you would be if you endorsed him for the practical test and had not logged training in all the areas required (both flight and ground). if that were the case, then they should be also looking at the DPE for conducting a practical test when all the requirements had not been documented.

    Since Mark is an attorney, I would heed his advice.

    0 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.