Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Single Engine CFI

Asked by: 1391 views
FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor

I am retired military, 4000 + hours in the F-14 / F-18, (former instructor in both) with Comm,Inst, SEL, MEL, Instrument Instructor rating (military competency equivalent).  I have approximately 1000 civilian hours and would like to get a SE CFI rating.  My military competency MEL Instructor rating is still awaiting Congressional approval since both F-14 / F-18 are considered center-line thrust aircraft, which boggles the imagination.  What are the requirements needed for me to qualify as a SE CFI?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

1 Answers

  1. Russ Roslewski on Jan 11, 2016

    This is assuming you do not meet any of the military equivalency provisions in 61.73:

    All the pertinent information is in 14 CFR 61, Subpart H.

    You do not need to take the FOI test since you already hold a CFI certificate.
    You will need:
    – to take the FIA knowledge test as an additional rating.
    – a spin endorsement.
    – a complex aircraft.
    – to practice flying and teaching the maneuvers.
    – an instructor’s signoff for the practical test.

    I think that’s about it. There are no minimum training time requirements.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.