Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Commercial Multi-Engine or getting an instrument rating first?

Asked by: 1904 views ,
Commercial Pilot, Flight Instructor

Hi all. I've a commercial SEL (without instruments) and I would like to get a CMEL and instrument add-on. What do you guys recommend? Getting my instrument rating (I'm instrument rated on rotorcraft) first then work on my MEL or can I start on my MEL training first, then do an instrument add-on? The reason why I'm asking is because I understand for MEL PTS there is an instrument component and I'm not sure if an instrument rating is required. Appreciate all advise. Thank you in advanced.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. John D Collins on Aug 23, 2015

    You need additional training in an airplane. It can be a single or multi-engine, but generally getting the training in a single is cheaper. I would first get the instrument rating airplane using a single engine aircraft, then get a multi-engine add on rating.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Dave M on Aug 23, 2015

    Unless you think you might need that extra Multi PIC time in the future, it’s probably better to do it in the single. As john says, it’s usualy cheaper and will probably be easier (one or more less things to worry about)

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.