Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Solo return

Asked by: 1663 views Airspace, Student Pilot

I am a student pilot and have taken 2 solo flights with good results (landings still need work!)  I have a question, my home airport (KFCM) is under class B airspace (KMSP) so we have a full ATC onsite.  Located a few miles to the north of my home airport is another airport with full ATC (KMIC).  As I enter back under the class B airspace and I am closer to KMIC (my solo flights seem to go to the NW), do I monitor the KMIC frequency or is it okay to monitor my home airport KFCM?  I do contact KFCM at 10 miles out so to me it makes most sense to monitor KFCM.  Any advice would be great!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. John D Collins on Jul 12, 2015

    Unless your flight is going to enter the Class D airspace around KMIC, there is no need to contact them. On your return to KFCM, it is a good idea to establish contact with them when you are ten miles out, but definitely before entering their class D airspace. You should discuss this with your flight instructor before your next solo flight.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.