Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

I haven’t flown in a year and a half. What do I need to do?

Asked by: 1642 views Flight Instructor, Light Sport Aircraft

A year and a half ago when I was on a break from school I started working towards my light sport license.  I got all the hours done and got everything checked off to take the knowledge test and the check ride but with complications with my school, I was never able to do it.  Now that I have graduated, I have some more free time and really want to get it done.  Will I have to start all over or will I just have to go back to my instructor, or another one, and fly a couple more hours to get checked off again?  Thank you for your time and help!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

2 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Jun 07, 2015

    Most likely you will spend several more hours with an instructor prepping you again for the checkride before they are ready to sign you off again for the practical test. The previous signoff expired after 60 days. If you received one.

    If you have taken the knowledge test, it is valid for 24 calendar months so you may not have to retake that. Check the date. The instructor will make sure through ground and oral questioning that you remember the what a sport pilot needs to know.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Mark Kolber on Jun 07, 2015

    Will I have to start all over or will I just have to go back to my instructor, or another one, and fly a couple more hours to get checked off again?

    All of the hours you have accumulated and all of the required tasks you have completed still count. The FAA does not have a CFI-student “marriage” rule, so you can use any CFI you want t this point.

    Since you say you have not taken the knowledge test, you will need an endorsement for that (or a substitute such as a self-student graduation certificate). And, while (again you are assuming you have done all the hours and tasks) the only practical test requirement are CFI sign-off and 2 hours of training within the 2 calendar months prior to the test, your CFI, whether the same or a different one, is going to make sure you are up to speed and have the skill and knowledge to pass before that sign-off.

    BTW, with a year and a half off, you may find that both your knowledge and flight skills have atrophied somewhat and, if you are typical, it will be the knowledge that is more difficult to get back.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.