Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Add on CFI and CFII for aircraft

Asked by: 2379 views FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor

I have my Helicopter CFII.  I also have ATP airplane and Commercial Heli.  I want add on my CFII single and multiengine airplane.  .  I've read through the FARs, but I'm still unclear on what I would need to add single and multiengine airplane to my Heli CFII.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Dauntless Aviation's GroundSchool series of apps are the smart pilot's choice for fast and effective FAA knowledge test prep.
Actual, up-to-date FAA questions Polished user experience
Best explanations in the business Free lifetime updates!
Private Pilot IFR Commercial Pilot CFI ATP Sport Pilot Sport Pilot Instructor Parachute Rigger Aviation Mechanic (A&P)
You can get the app now and be studying right away. Available for PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

3 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Apr 26, 2015

    First, there is no separate rating for single and multi-engine instrument. The rating is Instrument Airplane.

    Next, it wasn’t apparent from your post which ratings you hold. A quick check of the pilot database on http://www.faa.gov shows you hold only Flight Instructor Instrument Helicopter.

    If you weren’t aware, you can do nothing with regards to instructing with just an instrument rating on your flight instructor certificate. See the Grayson Interpretation. The legal interpretation website is down today, so I can’t give you the link at this time.

    Now, having said all this, the regulation outlining the requirements for additional ratings is 61.191.

    You will need to take a knowledge test for Airplane Additional Rating. AIF is the code for the test.

    You will then need instruction on the areas listed in 61.187(b)(7).
    You will need endorsements required to take the practical test.
    Last, you need to pass the practical test.

    If you want to be able to instruct, you will need to also acquire Rotorcraft Helicopter on your Flight Instructor certificate. You would also need to add Airplane Single Engine Land to your ATP and add Airplane Single and Multi-engine ratings to your Flight Instructor certificate.

    +4 Votes Thumb up 4 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Nibake on Apr 27, 2015

    You may have made a typo in the title. Did you mean airplane instead of aircraft?

    -2 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 2 Votes

  3. Kris Kortokrax on Apr 27, 2015

    The title is immaterial. He explained his request quite well in the body of his post and the answer addressed his request.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.